A missed performance will result in the lowering of the student's grade by one letter grade.
The following outlines the procedures that the student and parent should follow in regards to absences:
- Notify the director in advance.
- Fill out and submit the absentee form in the school office.
- Submit a parent's or doctor's note in the case of absence due to illness.
- If a band activity is scheduled for that day, call the band office as well as the school office to clear the absence.
- In case of emergency, a phone message may be left on the band answering machine/instructor's voicemail.
- Students are responsible for follow-up after an absence (gathering information/assignments, etc.)
An unexcused absence will result in the loss of participation points for that day. If a student acquires two unexcused absences, he/she will not be permitted to play in the next scheduled performance. This will cause the student's grade to be lowered by one letter grade.
Playing at athletic events is part of the "band tradition," and is a requirement for all band members. Expectations for these performances is outlined below.
HOME FOOTBALL GAMES (Marching Band)
For games beginning at 7:00 p.m., all marching band members will report to the high school band room at 5:50 p.m. in uniform. Here, band members will collect and assemble their instruments, music, and equipment. After a brief warm-up, the director and drum majors will march the band to the high school football field at 6:30 p.m. Band members are to sit in the designated band section and be prepared to play at all times unless otherwise instructed by the director.
HOME BASKETBALL GAMES (Pep Band)
The band will play for all varsity girls' and boys' home basketball games. For games beginning at 6:00 p.m., all band members will report to the high school band room at 5:10 p.m. in their band t-shirts and jeans. After collecting and assembling their instruments, music, and equipment and a brief warm-up, the director will lead the band to the high school gymnasium field at 5:30 p.m. Band members are to sit in the designated band section and be prepared to play at all times unless otherwise instructed by the director.
*The director will address individual needs on a case-by-case basis.